162 Days to Go: $1 Remake

So I think I was beyond excited about the piece I got for today that I simply forgot to snap it in the original state!!  This is going to have to suffice, just because it works on the color level... New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Before Safari Dress - 162

I'm basically taking this lovely tan dress with short sleeves that fell right below my knees that was completely without any buttons...

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - No Buttons - 162

....and adding some on to make it work!  When I found this piece for just $1 and the only issue was the five missing buttons (it fit perfectly) I knew this would be an easy tweak.  Use your imagination, but the after shot will look pretty similar to the state it was in before without the buttons!

Oh, speaking of buttons...

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Buttons - 162

...I've got a ton to choose from as replacements.  Time to pick!!

I began sorting through my stash to find buttons in shades that I liked and that matched.  I pulled out some gold, chestnut brown, mahoghany, ivory, tan, beige options...

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Button Options - 162

...did some testing to see what would fit...

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Too Big Button - 162

...and decided to go with these brown puppies!  They were small enough to fit in the button holes and they were a nice dark brown shade to add some contrast to the tan.

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Brown Buttons - 162

Luckily for me there was remnant thread from where the previous buttons were!!  I used the old thread as a guide to where I was going to sew my new buttons down.

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Sewing Buttons - 162

I weaved the thread through the two holes in the button a few times - I did about six solid loops - tied the ends, and then snipped the excess thread.  When I'm sewing buttons, I like to double up on the thread just to make them as secure as possible.  Basically putting the thread through the needle and tying that end to the other end, instead of just letting it hang after going through the needle's eye.

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Trimming Thread - 162

I paired the dress with a belt I scored at the flea market a few years ago for $5 and threw on my vintage Candies for a totally complete safari-esque look!

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Finished Safari Dress 4 - 162

It's totally reminiscent of this super similar Brooks Brothers version...

New Dress A Day - Brooks Brothers - safari dress

...and the piece that Kate Hudson wore in Something Borrowed (which I believe was Michael Kors).

Kate Hudson in Something Borrowed

Not too shabby for a price that was right and a fix that was pretty easy.

New Dress a Day - DIY - Vintage Dress - Finished Safari Dress 3 - 162

I wanted to give this dress a home, so I totally adopted it and added some button friends to make it feel just like the other dresses.  Love this piece that will most definitely become part of the closet rotation!!

This made me smile today, so I thought it was totally worth sharing... I have maj love for Mad Men (and I don't just love it for the outfits!) as well as Jon Hamm...this just made me love him more.

Thanks to the fabulous gals over at Rookie Mag who made this possible.