"I was very attached to this outfit during high school. It has been in a box for years and needs a new purpose. At least there should be plenty of fabric."
Stripes, stripes and more stripes!! I decided to use just the top for today’s piece, but we’ll get this slightly tiered skirt put to use soon enough!
I wanted to go for a pouffier look with the sleeves, so I opted to put a bit of elastic in the seam of each one. First I opened the seam...
I cut my elastic - measure around your arm area first, before trimming - and clipped a large safety pin to the end of the elastic before pushing it through the seam.
Once both sleeves were finished...
I sewed the edges together on the sewing machine and then did a quick hand stitch to mend the open edges! I decided to tweak the collar a bit and removed the piece along the neck line. It was a bit too stiff for me, so I took my seam ripper and got crackin.
Now that the neck was open, I went to the sewing machine to fix the edges. I did a little more opening up and folded down the front a bit. This is something where you can have fun tweaking and making a scalloped collar, more of a scoop, whatever works for you.
My top was ready for a little a.m. breakfast, taking in the rays!! I loved the added volume in the sleeves that just gave it more oomf!
I loved Mary's final words..."I've enjoyed your blog. So far it has only led to this cleaning but that can only be an improvement." That is so true Mary - baby steps :) Clean a little here, sew a little there!