As we're getting closer to Halloween, I loved this piece Crystal submitted. I felt it totally holiday apropos!
This dress was given (freeee!!) to me by a friend who liked it but said she'd never wear it. I immediately loved the unique design, the neckline, and the design on the front and while I liked it "as-is,"I thought I could improve upon it. It didn't need a lot of altering to make it FAB. I was seeing sugar skulls!
The middle of the dress does look like a skull! Let's see how Crystal finishes this up!!
I chopped the ruffles from the bottom of the sleeves and skirt first, and because the fabric didn't ravel, I did not have to hem post-cut! The dress fabric was silk but I didn't know the composition of the thread - I was guessing and hoping it was poly, which it turned out to be! I grabbed RIT fabric dye and the fabric took the fuchsia dye brilliantly - I used the whole bottle - but as desired, the decorative threads did not.
I also added a ribbon to tie in the back to make the dress a bit more fitted (the first photo doesn't show that it was originally a bit loose on me, as I had it pinned in that photo.) After that last touch, it was time to rock it! I love how it turned out and like to pair it with my tiny Elaine Ho skull pendant and Iron Fist "Goldigger" zombie flats...
Way to rock this look Crystal! I feel like this would be the perfect Dia De Los Muertos outfit! I love your creativity!! Keep it coming!