When I was asked to take charge on the crown/tiara front for a lovely friend of mine's bachelorette party, I immediately said yes. I mean, there's nothing I love more than ribbon, wire, rhinestones, and silk flowers! This crown-veil wasn't going to be your tradish wedding white/pearly/lace-y version either, it was going to be black, sparkly, and something straight out of a Tim Burton movie....
...literally my dream veil right now!!
I scooped up my supplies downtown LA in the garment district, and found the rhinestone headband and crown clips at the cheap costume jewelry stands scattered about. (You can always grab budget costume jewelry at Forever 21 or on eBay and the rest of these crafty supplies at Michaels and Jo-Ann's.)
The headband I found had two metal strands of stones, so I started off by wiring the two together. This is giving me a thicker band to work with!
After the headband was wired together, I took the black tulle and gathered it to make a three inch section, pinning it in place.
Once pinned, I started to stitch the tulle with black thread to the headband.
I continued the tulle layering process, adding white tulle underneath, then another layer of black tulle on the bottom.
The rhinestone mini-crown I found was actually attached to a plastic comb, so with a lighter I melted the comb part off. (Be super careful if you go this route - I did it over my kitchen sink and turned the water on whenever the plastic got too hot or a little flame began. Using pliers or even just bending the comb part back and forth until it comes off are other options...)
After making another bachelorette crown last summer and having problems with the comb staying in place, I figured I would attach the crown directly to the headband this go, to avoid any movement and falling off!
With the comb part gone, I started to stitch my little crown to the top of the headband with black thread. I went through the open spaces multiple times to make sure it wouldn't budge!
I thought a fun extra touch would be to add flowers to the tulle veil, so I grabbed two different sizes of mini black silk roses with wire stems. I poked the wire through the veil and back, wrapped the wire around the base of the flower, then trimmed the excess wire off.
With flowers dotted over the tulle, I was done!!
I tested out the crown myself...
...and realized that I might have to make one for me!!
Pictures of the bride-to-be wearing her crown will be posted shortly! As much as I didn't want to give it away, I did, however, I still have LOTS of leftover supplies. I'm thinking a little fascinator or cocktail hat to come soon!!