...when I reached out your way to help me pick out what color to dye the top of it!
Those appliqué/pockets were the best!!
And by best, I mean had to go!! The votes were tallied and the winning color was coral!!
See how the whole piece looks now!
After coordinating votes from the comment section here, on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and individual emails, the color choice that won was coral! To get the right shade, I took four dyes (Tangerine, Sunshine Orange, Golden Yellow, and Scarlet) and mixed them together. I started with 1/4 cup-ish of Tangerine and then 1/8 cup-ish of Scarlet, and then fine tuned the shade with drips of the other two shades.
I made my dye bath and then added in the top portion of the dress!
Post dye, I ran water through the piece until the color ran clear and then tossed it into the dryer!
I hit those patchy pockets next - I took a seam ripper and started to remove stitches.
The pockets came out...
...and the pins went in to prep for restitching.
I stitched the pockets...
...and then began work on the skirt portion! I took the dress a bit shorter...
...pinned the raw edges down...
...and then stitched a brand new hem!
Check out the new dress!!
Those pesky pockets are gone!!
That bluish shade of the top of the dress was gone!!
What a fun summery color this turned out!!
I continued with the 70s vibe by adding my vintage Candies and my dad's bamboo belt that he actually wore back then. I totally need a picture of him wearing this!
Colorful and comfortable!