However I kept walking by it and started thinking about how fun zebra print is. The more I thought about it, I realized that this could be a piece that could work well...
...with the right styling and a good fit.
I guess it's good that I tend to linger at garage sales - gives me just enough time to turn a "no" into a "yes". And, when I brought it to the sellers to pay for (along with the other goodies I found), they just gave it to me (thanks guys!!). I think they had seen enough of it and was ready to say goodbye.
The biggest issue with this piece was the fit. At first I thought I'd just take the fabric and trim the zebras from it, adhering them to a skirt or something along those lines, however the more I wore it, the more I liked it as it was.
I needed to take the piece in, so I followed the seam at the arms all the way to the waist of the shirt, pinning along the way. This was the area that I was going to be taking in.
Once it was pinned, I sewed the new seam in place!
There was also a missing button, second from the top, so I ended up snagging the bottommost button from the top and putting it in the open spot. I figured it would be easier to replace the bottom button with something similar that didn't have to match perfectly. For today's outfit, you won't even see it!
To give this slightly wild shirt a tamer look (hey, pun!) I paired it with a vintage taffeta skirt and a pair of strappy heels.
Oh, and those heels...
I love the zebra on zebra action!!
With just a bit of tailoring, this shirt fits like a glove
Who woulda thunk it, this shirt that I passed by so quickly at first glance at the garage sale, turned into something so fun!!